From the Parenting.com blog linked HERE
10 Last Minute Halloween Costume Ideas for Kids
Meatballs and Spaghetti
- Cut a hole for the head in the center of a red-checkered tablecloth (or 1.25 yards of 45-inch-wide red-checkered fabric) so that it can be worn like a poncho.
- Cut 1/2 skein off-white yarn into spaghetti-length pieces. With a hot-glue gun, glue them in swirls and bunches to a large, sturdy paper plate.
- Paint 8 small Styrofoam balls with brown acrylic paint to resemble meatballs. Let dry, then glue 4 or 5 balls to top of spaghetti. Mix brown and red acrylic paint to make a tomato-sauce color; drip that over meatballs and spaghetti. Smear a little on the side of a small pot.
- Glue the plate to the front of the tablecloth.
- Glue remaining meatballs to tablecloth where you like.
- Glue some strands of yarn to the pot “hat.” Tie under chin if needed to keep pot on head.
- Search the Internet to find an image or logo of an ’80s band (think Poison, Bon Jovi, Guns N’ Roses). Print onto a sheet of iron-on printer paper specifically for dark fabrics. Iron onto front of a plain black T-shirt per manufacturer’s instructions.
- Wear rocker wig and jeans (ideally, acid-wash). Accessorize with plastic-cord necklace, black eyeliner and black nail polish, if desired. Grab a guitar (or a blow-up one).
- Arrange half a bag of polyfill stuffing around the brim of a straw sombrero.
- Cut circle of blue satin 10 inches larger than brim. With a hot-glue gun, glue it under hat bit by bit. Alternate sides as you go to make it even.
- Repeat with same-size circle of sheer, shimmery fabric, covering the satin. Smooth top into dome shape.
- Glue pieces of white curling ribbon underneath to hang down. Curl with scissors.
- With a hot-glue gun, glue 30 to 35 rolls of Smarties candies to the front of a pair of solid-color dark pants. You can place them in rows or randomly. (If you decide to glue the candy rolls in the back of the pants as well, avoid the top section so that your child can sit down comfortably.)
- Glue individual Smarties candies to an inexpensive headband or cap.
- Wear with a bright top and bright shoes.
- Cut holes for the head and arms in a square box (we used a 16 by 16-inch). Cut the flaps off the open end so that child can pull the finished cube over head.
- With craft glue, glue four 8 1/2 by 11-inch sheets of green paper to one side. Repeat with blue, orange, yellow and red paper on other sides. (You may need more if you use a larger box than we did.) Then create the squares with black electrical tape.
Mr. Twister Costume
All you need is:a hula hoop, 2 large adult-sized dark-gray T-shirts, fabric glue, 10 yd black tulle, a stapler, twigs, dark-gray gloves
Your little one will have fun in this twister costume when he storms out of the house, ready for candy and trick-or-treating fun on Halloween night.
Piece together this fun Frankenstein costume with a few craft store items for an easy, no-sew Halloween get-up.
- 1 yard green felt
- Fabric glue
- Silver-painted spools
- A scrap red felt
- Faux fur
- Black sweatpants
- Gray T-shirt
- Dark sports jacket
Cut a piece of green felt long enough to wrap around your child’s head and 12 to 16 inches wide. Fold in half lengthwise so the hat is 6 to 8 inches tall; glue sides together to form a cylinder. Cut two more pieces of green felt about 6 inches wide and 8 inches long to create the neckpiece. Glue one strip to each side of the hat on the inside; glue silver spools in the middle of each piece for neck bolts (you’ll tuck the ends inside his shirt or jacket). Cut a “scar” out of red felt, and glue to the hat. Place faux fur across the top and glue in place around edges. Trim to desired style.
Dress child in sweatpants, and cut jagged edges at the bottom. Top with T-shirt and jacket.
For this costume, you’ll need:
- hot glue or fabric glue
- tape measure
1. Cut sleeves off a green sweatshirt. Turn in armholes and glue raw edges.
2. Give 3 paper egg-carton bottoms a coat of yellow paint. When dry, glue to front of sweatshirt for kernels, as shown.
3. Cut 1 yard of green felt in half. Pull on felt to create irregular edges. Fold and glue along each side of egg cartons, as shown. Glue green pipe cleaners to the back of felt at the top to help the “husk” tips stand up.
4. Hat: Measure child’s head and cut a sleeve to fit, leaving an extra inch at the top. Cut a bunch of raffia and bundle together. Wrap a strand around base of bundle to keep it together; glue to hat for corn silk.
1. With big, sharp scissors, cut two 18″-square, 2″-thick foam cushion inserts (buy at a large home store or fabric/trimmings shop) into slices of bread.
2. From about three 12″ squares of tan or brown felt, cut 2″-wide strips and, with a hot-glue gun, glue around edges of foam bread slices to make crusts.
3. Cut one 18″-square, 1″-thick foam cushion insert into a big circle and cover with red spray paint. Glue tomato to one slice of bread.
4. Glue a 24″ length of mustard-yellow cord or rickrack to tomato so it’s visible from side.
5. Glue three pairs green garden gloves to inside edges of the other slice of bread, fingers facing out.
6. From 2.5 yards wide ribbon, cut four 18″ lengths for side ties and two 6″ lengths for shoulder straps, and glue to “bread”. He’ll be the yummiest baby on the block!
This costume starts with a sweatshirt two sizes bigger than your child’s size—found at a discount store for about $5 apiece. You’ll also need a hot-glue gun and scissors.
1. Cut sleeves off white sweatshirt. Turn in-side out and fold in and glue raw edges. Cut out and glue black felt spots on sweatshirt.
2. Cut a small slit in waistband and neckband and use large safety pin to pull 1-yard piece of 1/4-inch elastic through each. Tie ends together (try on child to make sure it’s not tight).
3. Hat: Turn one cutoff sleeve inside out; glue one end closed. Turn right side out, place on child’s head, and cut to appropriate length, leaving an extra inch. Fold in and glue raw edges.
4. Ears: Cut two large teardrop shapes out of other sleeve. Cut two smaller pink felt teardrops and glue to smooth side of white teardrops.
Pinch round ends and glue to hat, as shown above. Glue Poly-Fil between ears.
5. Add white long-sleeve tee or turtleneck, black gloves, and black leggings or tights.